Monday, November 05, 2007

How do you ever thank so many?


















With respect to this years La Carrera Panamericana there are so many personalities, all unique in their very special way that I would like to mention so over the next few weeks I will do my best to mention them all a feat that will no doubt be undaunting.

To get things started off I would like to thank Brett Haller of The Unlimited Class for his special friendship and don't forget his awesome photography. Brett is unique in that he utilizes the tools of his trade to shoot photos without making you feel like you need to act a certain way. It quickly becomes apparent that he's a pro when you realize you can be completely at ease when he's shooting weather it's in a crowed room, a busy street or better yet on the podium. Like so many others I shared this adventure with, Bret is without a doubt someone I look forward to keeping a long lasting friendship with for many years to come.

Be sure and click on each of these spectacular shots sent to me by Brett. Brett thank you so much as each one of these will no doubt be burned into my brain for a lifetime to come. While all of your photos are awe inspiring you will never understand how much the one of the head Federally shaking my hand means to me. As you know, he very seldom approached drivers and it was the start of the very last high speed section as I waited my turn to take off. He was busy talking to other Federally along the side of the road as all the cars took off but when he looked up and saw our car he pushed the other officers aside and ran towards me. For a second I thought something was wrong with our car possibly a fire or something. As he ran to my door he stuck his hand out and grabbed mine and in an extremely animated way he asked, "Do you love my country?" I told his I loved him more than I could ever tell him. Then he asked, "Will you ever come back and race again?" I told him I couldn't wait. Then he said, "I have really enjoyed watching you do so well and my country and myself want you to return and we will await your return with pride. Now be safe and finish well." This is just how everyone in Mexico made us feel.

5 comments:

Carlos said...

I only want to say congratulations to all California's Best, I follow your blog since last year and I was waiting October 27th (Day 2: Tehuacán - Puebla) to see Lucky on the road.... The car is simply spectacular, congratulations again!!!!

I want to share you this videos, I know you are going to make a HD DVD, and have recorded all La Carrera, but this is a kind of gift to you guys, from me, a big fan of you....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7vcFv3cPc4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eEJj7H1qlU

These videos are of the first stage at Oaxaca (the start of La Carrera) and my father took them (he lives there).

Also I want to share this photo (Day 2 - Stage 5 - Note: 3km before the Silver Corvette was burned), I know I'm not Brett, and this isn't the best picture, but it's from my heart to you....

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=1876749811&context=set-1285976&size=l

Saludos amigos, I'll see you here next year!!!!

El Huracán (sorry about my english)
http://elhuracan.blogspot.com

Gary Faules said...

Carlos,

Thank you very much for all the kind words and the videos but most of all thank you for sharing not only your country but the love and respect with us as well. Your kindness and hospitality is what we recieved from every one we met and it is what we can hardly wait to find the next time we come to your beautiful country. You Spanish is perfect.

F.O. said...

Hello Gary, I´m in home now and I want to tell you thanks for all attention for my wife , my chidren and me, thanks again.You are a great man!

Carlos said...

Here is the picture...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/elhuracan/

Saludos

Gary Faules said...

Thank you Carlos. I am grateful for your kind words and photos as well. Please stay in touch.