Monday, October 25, 2010

Today Begins Day Four





















A new LCP friend wrote me telling me about a teams frustration because of some problems they are having with their car and how tired they are and so on. Anyone who has taken part in LCP knows that the lack of sleep and rest can make even the smallest problem even tougher than it really is. Under normal circumstances a team has time to deal with problems with a car and if anything can simply say, "Lets go home and sleep on it and we'll work on it tomorrow." But during LCP nothing could be further from the truth. You either stay up late and find a way to deal with any issues that arise or you get left behind.

My new friend's concern for the team is real and understandable and wrote, "They know they're pretty much out of the running for anything major, " but in my opinion they would be wrong. On the grand scale of things, just the fact that they built a car and went is a testimony of a great effort. While thousands of men spend their entire life saying, "I'd give anything to do that" or "I sure wish I could do that..." they got of the couch and did it. There is no failing for anyone who attempts the LCP, there are hardships and lots of them and it's how they take on those hardships and adversities and deal with them that decides whether or not they have failed or succeeded. In my opinion they have already done something major and in fact are winners where others who didn't make the effort are the true losers. Every team that ever took part in LCP is part of that history and that can never be taken away from them.

“Life is a storm my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes. You must look into that storm and shout, as you did in Rome, ‘Do your worst…for I will do mine.’”
~Count of Monte Christo

No comments: