Thursday, July 30, 2009

A Pleasant Surprise

There are so many rewarding attributes when it comes to racing but one of the best ones are the friends you make along the way. Involvement with La Carrera Panamericana is no exception and I have noticed even more so that friends within La Carrera Panamericana become more like family than mere friends.

Yesterday I got a welcome surprise when Franc Blas walked into my lobby. How cool is that! I sure wish I would have had a lot more time but we did get some time together to sit down and swap some stories and share some La Carrera memories.



The first time I remember meeting Franc was after we had traveled to San Miguel de Allende with the 2007 Coyote Convoy. We were parked next to each other and unloading our car in the parking lot to get them ready for the car show, which is just one more exciting day that I will never forget. Franc was on Roger and Daryl Habich's team with their beautiful #5 Studebaker.

Parked in the square at San Miguel de Allende


What's interesting about our meeting is that even though we traveled and raced with each other in Mexico for that week and change, it wasn't until yesterday, almost three years later that we finally got the chance to sit down and really get to know each other. I am looking forward to being able to spend more time with Franc and his lovely wife Marcia in the future. Maybe next time we can do dinner.

No comments: