Friday, May 22, 2009

A Little La Carrera Fun

I sure regret not having been able to compete in last years Pikes Peak International Hill Climb but fortunately one thing I will never regret is the great friends I have been blessed with as a result of La Carrera Panamericana and already some other competitors from the PPIHC that have been so helpful even before we meet and there are many.

Personally, besides all the friends that form a racing community and a bond of sorts (and dont forget those awesome race fans) another very important reason to take part in PPIHC is two fold. One is simply the excitement and significance of being part of the historical value os this race. Secondly is simply because I'm a racer that loves an exciting and challenging race and if you can think of race more exciting than this one I sure would like to hear about it.

One thing I really enjoy about this specific race is that all the vintage cars run against each other no matter if they have a 6 cylinder, a big V-8 or even a bigger V-8. At the end of the day the last thing I want to hear is "I would have won but John Smith had a bigger motor than me." The truth is, in the good ole days of the PPIHC drivers "run what they brung" with every one of them doing every thing in their power (and budget) to build what they thought would run the best.

It's very important to remember that the car isn't worth a plug nickle if it isn't driven by a great driver. Pikes Peak by its self can be very intimidating and unforgiving and with so little margin for error, no guard rails and the Devil himself trying to take you back down the hill the wrong way, it really doesn't matter what size engine you have.

I cant wait to test and then race the mountain because this race is not about beating any other driver and God knows it sure as hell isn't about beating the mountain... It's all about the experience, the friendship, the camaraderie and the love of racing.

That said, I hope to hell I kick Doug Mockett's butt and after this years PPIHC is over I am hoping this photo will reassemble how Doug felt with me chasing him up the hill. LOL. (Anyone who doesn't know Doug, don't worry about the abuse. Doug is an exceptional gentleman racer with a great sense of humor and I am delighted to call him my friend.)

No comments: